The Norwegian Better Regulation Council (Regelrådet)
The purpose of the Norwegian Better Regulation Council is to contribute to lessening the burdens on business from new or altered regulations. Our activities include:
- Evaluating the layout of proposals for new or altered regulations that has consequences for business’ operating conditions.
- Evaluating if Impact Assessments have been carried out in accordance to the Instructions for Official Studies and Reports (“Utredningsinstruksen”).
- Evaluating if regulations are made in a way that leads to the least amount of burdens for business.
- In preparation of EEA-regulations that can have an effect on Norwegian business, the council can assist responsible ministries, if so desired, to assess adjoining Impact Assessments.
We also follow the developments and activities in the Better Regulation field, both domestically and internationally, and will provide information and general guidance that promotes better regulation.
The NBRC is subject to The Norwegian Ministry of Trade, Industry and Fisheries. This ministry is responsible for leading the plan for simplification of government policies in the area of business.
Our main priority is to provide scrutiny to policy proposals from government ministries, as well as other government parties that present policy proposals for public hearings. The oranization has an advisory role, and does not have the mandate to stop policy proposals that is deems unfit for purpose.
The organization consists of a council and a secretariat. The council, which consists of six members (four ordinary members and two deputy members), has varied experiences in business and academia.
The Better Regulation Council
The Norwegian Better Regulation is also a member of RegWatchEurope. RegWatchEurope is a European network between various national impact assessment scrutinization boards. Through RegWatchEurope, the national boards aims to support iniatives that promotes simplification in EEA-/EU members states, and promotes Better Regulation. RegWatchEurope currently consists of the following national boards:
- Sweden – The Swedish Better Regulation Council (Regelrådet)
- Netherlands – Adviescollege toetsing administratieve lasten (Actal), the Dutch Advisory Board on Regulatory Burden
- Germany – Nationaler Normenkontrollrat (NKR)
- Great Britain – Regulatory Policy Committee (RPC)
- The Czech Republic – Regulatory Impact Assessment Board (RIAB)
- Finland – Finnish Council of Regulatory Impact Analysis (FCRIA)